Population Protection Information
Εννέα στις δέκα δασικές πυρκαγιές προκαλούνται από ανθρώπινες δραστηριότητες.
Πηγαίνετε εκδρομή ή κατασκήνωση;
Κατοικείτε κοντά στο δάσος;
Ασχολείστε με γεωργικές καλλιέργειες;
Οδηγίες που αφορούν όλους!
- Μην πετάτε αναμμένα τσιγάρα ή σπίρτα
- Αν δείτε κάποιον να προβαίνει σε ενέργεια που πιθανόν να προκαλέσει πυρκαγιά, προσπαθήστε να τον μεταπείσετε, ή ενημερώστε αμέσως το Τμήμα Δασών.
- Αν εντοπίσετε καπνό ή φωτιά, καλέστε αμέσως το Τμήμα Δασών!
Ιn cities and communities of Cyprus, the Cyprus Civil Defence has installed an early warning network of 150 sirens covering the Republic of Cyprus to warn the public of a threatening natural disaster or hostile air action.
The siren network is capable of:
- sounding an alarm
- sending a mobilization signal
- sending voice messages
When the sirens sound, citizens are obliged to follow the instructions of the Civil Defence and other essential services.
The Cyprus Civil Defence is taking some precautionary measures, in conjunction with other agencies involved, to be ready to respond in the event of a disaster. Such preventive actions are:
- preparation of Action Plans, such as the “Enceladus” Earthquake Management Plan
- training on various probable scenarios
- educating, equipping and training its departments
- educating and enlightening the population regularly
- constructing and designing shelters
In the event of an earthquake, flood, or other emergency we may leave our home in a hurry. In such case, it is a good idea to have some basic items in an accessible part of the house, such as a First Aid Box, money, a radio, a lens, dry food, underwear, towels, family medicine or valuable items.
- We must discuss in advance both at home and at work, how to get out of the building if needed.
- We must secure our furniture and heavy objects to walls
- We must know in advance where the different switches are located
- We must have fire extinguishers within easy reach.
- We must confirm that some family members have First Aid knowledge
More information on the various disasters can be found on the Website http://www.besafenet.net/en which is supported by the Council of Europe’s Euro-Mediterranean Open Partial Agreement for disaster coping.
Relevant Information at the publications:
Creating shelters/safety areas are a key measure of protecting civilians for a short period of time in the event of hostilities.
The state had to decide between two options:
- The first concerned the creation of underground shelters in large open spaces, which would be expropriated for this purpose.
- The second concerned the creation of shelters in already existing underground spaces.
After studying the two options, the former was ruled out because of the huge financial cost.
Therefore, the Republic of Cyprus decided the latter, which enabled immediate implementation.
Cyprus Civil Defence congratulates the thousands of our fellow citizens who are basement owners, who have agreed to turn their private spaces into public shelters.
Without their consent, the task of creating shelters would be much more difficult.